Algus Packaging Ownership & History
Art Gustafson, Founder/President
The Algus Packaging tradition encompasses over forty years of experience in the heat seal and thermoforming packaging industry. Art Gustafson is widely considered to be the leading pioneer of today’s automatic heat seal and thermoforming industry and, indeed, the father of the rotary automatic heat seal machine. As a young man, he discovered his natural talent for design and innovation working on his family’s farm in Illinois. He joined Plastofilm Industries ( Wheaton , Ill. ) in 1954, starting in the die shop and subsequently moving up the engineering and management ladder. In 1961, he ventured out and started his own business (Alloyd Company) and began designing and developing his own equipment line. The new line of equipment focused on providing customers with more efficient and cost effective solutions to what he saw as gaps in the industry. As a one-man operation, he designed, tooled, fabricated and then introduced in 1966 his revolutionary six-station rotary machine, the Alloyd Model 6SCBE. It became the standard of the industry and is still in use all over the world today.
In 1989, after building Alloyd to a company of over 300 employees, he sold the company. (Alloyd now operates as a division of Sonoco Corporation). Seeing a need in the industry for some new designs and concepts in packaging, Art Gustafson re-entered the industry he had so influenced in 1995 by forming Algus Packaging, Inc. Since then Algus Packaging has designed and developed new more efficient packaging systems as well as brought his innovative ideas into the contract packaging business.
Algus Packaging Locations and Facilities
Corporate Office Taylor St. Location
Algus Packaging utilizes its 330,000 square foot facility in DeKalb , Illinois to meet the unique needs of our packaging customers. We are centrally located on two major interstate corridors, with rail access to Union Pacific. Because of our strategic Midwest location, Algus can provide a cost effective solution to business’s logistical needs by receiving products and distributing then to the entire nation economically. Our products and services are within a day’s travel of 80% of the Midwest ‘s major population center. This is a key location in these days of high transportation costs and just-in-time packaging planning.
Our current operation includes the following features:
• Dock space for loading and unloading 30 trucks at one time.
• Racked pallet positions and bulk storage.
• Fiber optic high speed connections to ensure reliability and expandability.
Machine Division Peace Rd. Location
This Algus Packaging property consists of 115,260 SF Manufacturing / Distribution Warehouse and sits on approximately 15 acres.
Strategically housing our sales team, machine engineering and our in-house fabrication team.
- Excellent transportation linkages… I-39, I-80, I-88, I-55, I-90, I-74, I-43 and Union Pacific Railroad.
- In-house machining currently utilizing a highly trained staff, consisting of six machinists and two programmers.
- Six CNC vertical machining centers perform blister form tooling, samples and machine parts–supplying our customers high quality tooling with quick response times.
- In-house fabrication centers perform painting, machine manufacturing, welding and final assembly. The department of eleven full-time machine technicians are available to assist with any customer packaging complication, as well as packaging systems development and design.